According to American Gaming Revenue Tracker, US commercial gaming revenue will reach an annual record of $60.4 billion in 2022.
This marks the first $60 billion for the commercial gaming segment, surpassing the previous $53.0 billion set in 2021.
The year was punctuated by a high quarterly revenue from gaming businesses of about $15.9 billion in the fourth quarter of 2022. Sports betting and online gambling posted their highest levels in a single quarter, while traditional land-based gambling grew 1.7 percent year-on-year.
“Our industry has greatly exceeded expectations in 2022,” he said. AGA President and CEO Bill Miller. Simply put, American adults choose casino games to entertain in record numbers, benefit communities, and take market share from a predatory and illegal market.
The industry continues to diversify offerings, with retail gaming accounting for 80.5 percent of total revenue and online gaming making up the remaining 19.5 percent – marking a new high.
According to the AGA, 84 million American adults, or 34 percent of the adult population, visited a casino in the past year — including new markets in Nebraska and Virginia. Table game revenue saw a significant increase, up 13.9 percent year-on-year, while slot machines showed a year-on-year growth of 5.1 percent.
In 2022, the continued growth of the regulated sports betting market has led to new records in dealing ($93.2 billion) and sportsbook revenue ($7.5 billion). This growth was driven in part by the state of Kansas, which operated retail sports betting and mobile betting, and launched mobile sports betting in Louisiana, Maryland and New York.
According to the AGAOnline casino revenue grew 35.2% year-over-year to $5.0 billion in a limited number of iGaming legal countries.
In 2022, the Las Vegas Strip and Atlantic City retain their highest positions in the mall. The Baltimore-Washington, D.C. market has regained its position as the third-largest gaming market in the country, besting Chicagoland (fourth) and the Mississippi Gulf Coast (fifth), which round out the top five.
“Even as we face macroeconomic headwinds, I am optimistic about the year ahead,” Miller continued. Carrying our momentum into 2023, the AGA It remains focused on combating the illegal market, doubling down on liability, and creating appropriate policy and regulatory conditions that enable our industry to sustain sustainable success.”