Sources told ESPN that plans by Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus to play the pre-season tournament in the United States are in danger of collapsing.
The three clubs, who continue to lead the campaign for the European Premier League, had been hoping to play a series of exhibition matches in the United States this summer, with Las Vegas identified as a potential tournament host. Classico Match between Real Madrid and Barcelona.
Milan have been contacted about the possibility of becoming the fourth team in the competition, but sources told ESPN that the tournament is now unlikely to continue.
– Weekend review: Real Madrid snatches the La Liga title in style
– Notebook: Inside stories from around the world
– ESPN + viewers guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup and more
– You don’t have ESPN? Get instant pass
Sources close to Barcelona said they are now exploring other ways to play friendlies in the United States this year. They want to maximize their potential income by playing several great friendlies before the 2022-23 campaign kicks off.
They have already agreed to take part in the post-season match in Australia against the A-League All Stars on May 25, but have yet to confirm their pre-season schedule.
Real Madrid and Juventus are also seeking alternative arrangements.
ESPN first revealed in February that Premier League rebels Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus want to arrange a tournament to help make up for the losses they have all suffered since the outbreak of the pandemic in 2020.
Prior to the pandemic, the three parties had regularly toured the United States, but for the past two years they have had to scale back and stay local.
Real Madrid competed in the International Champions Cup in the United States in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Barcelona also played matches across the United States in 2017, 2018, and 2019, while Juventus toured the country in 2017 and 2018.
there was even Classico Played in Miami in 2017, the first to be played outside Spain, Barcelona beat Madrid 3-2 in what would prove to be Neymar’s final for the Catalan club before a world record €222m transfer to Paris Saint-Germain.
Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus are the only clubs still pushing for the Europa League after the launch of the project that sparked a public backlash last year.
Twelve teams were initially part of the breakaway competition, which would have seen them eliminated from the Champions League, but Atletico Madrid, Milan, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester United and Manchester City all withdrew after a hostile reaction among the fans. of six English clubs.
However, Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus continue to push for the Europa League, issuing several joint statements arguing that a revamp is needed at the top level of the game.
A Spanish court initially ruled that UEFA and FIFA could not sanction them for the project, but the judge lifted those measures last month, ruling that action could be taken against clubs wishing to create a European Super League if they saw fit.