A killer’s escape from prison ended about a week after he was arrested near a bus stop. [Image: Shutterstock.com]
Out for about a week
Las Vegas police have arrested a bomb maker and fugitive killer who is serving a life sentence for the 2007 murder of a hot dog seller at a casino, authorities said.
He used battery acid to melt his way out of his cell and put a cardboard mannequin under his bed sheet
Porfirio Duarte Herrera, 42, used battery acid to melt his way out of his cell and put a cardboard mannequin under his bed sheet to trick prison guards. Duarte-Herrera erupted on Friday, September 23, but was not discovered missing until Tuesday, September 27.
Police were informed by a bus station employee that a person matching the description of the fugitive had been seen nearby. Officers arrested the man on Wednesday evening, shortly after confirming he was the missing criminal.
according to daily MailDuarte Herrera was near the bus station as he prepared to board a bus bound for Tijuana, Mexico.
Duarte was a Herrera Convicted in 2010 Together with the defendant, Omar Rueda Denvers, for the murder of 24-year-old Willibeldo Durantes Antonio with a motion-activated pipe bomb he hid in a coffee cup. The deceased was later identified as the boyfriend of Rueda’s ex-girlfriend Denvers.
The explosion, which occurred outside Luxor Resort and Casino, initially caused people to fear that it was a terrorist attack before it was described as an isolated incident out of jealousy.
I snuck through a perimeter fence near a prison tower with a view of the area
Fox 5 The story broke that the missing man used battery acid to breach the window frame in his cell. He then crept through the surrounding fence near the prison tower with a view of the area, except that no one had been stationed in the tower in years.
Las Vegas sheriff and Republican candidate for governor Joseph Lombardo has shared his concern that a man convicted of “cold-blooded murder” will return free. He also condemned prison and everyone involved in allowing Duarte Herrera to escape.
“Policies and procedures and all the failures that occurred on Friday and into Tuesday need to be addressed,” Lombardo said during a news conference on Thursday. “Infrastructure issues and employment issues in the prison system, and this individual’s ability to do that, which I was told, as he simply did, is of great concern to me, the entire law enforcement community, and society at large.”
Cooperation and investigations
Las Vegas officials initially offered a reward of $30,000 to anyone who could provide information leading to the arrest of Duarte Herrera. Police also took to the streets to distribute pamphlets about the missing man.
The week-long panic finally ended with what Lombardo referred to as cooperation between law enforcement, the media and the public.
“In this case, the individual had a head start for four days,” Lombardo said. “Fortunately, and unfortunately, he remained in the area and we were able to catch him with the help of the public.”
Lombardo then stated that any additional information about the escape would be released by the prison.
Ensure prompt action is taken to address the behavior that led to the escape
Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak has opened an investigation into the escape after his office learned of it Tuesday night. In Thursday’s statement to News agencythe governor’s office wrote that it is working with the Department of Corrections “to ensure that prompt action is taken to address the behavior that led to the escape.”
“Failure to follow protocol or procedures when public safety is at stake cannot be tolerated. Besides this incident, addressing widespread deficiencies in staffing remains a priority for the Governor,” said the Governor’s Director of Communications, Megyn Delaney.